JOCM from 2012

JOCM from 2012

Monday, April 23, 2012

Absolute Bargain at $1450

Part Deux from the All American Road Race

Today I went to visit Dr. Zahir. A well respected hand and plastic surgeon in the NOVA area. The good doctor and I chatted for a few minutes and I could tell he was confident in his work and that I was in "good hands". I told him of the accident and he recounted a bike wreck from one of his forays in to road racing years before but I do not think he rides much anymore. He said "I know what you are feeling". Well, maybe.................

When he told me what he was going to do to repair the fracture, which included pins, I asked what he would do if I were Levi Leipheimer. He said "who"? So I said, what treatment would you give if I were Levi Leipheimer or Lance Armstrong? I said it seems like Pros get special care that permits them to get back in the saddle in days rather than weeks.
 

Two Pins--no Ti for me

He went on to say the "same" care and the key is to stabilize the fracture to begin the healing process. He did say that he could hook me up with an orthopaedic lab that could prep me a splint that would permit me to ride and not exacerbate the injury..............yeah baby!! That is what I wanted to hear. 

Well....................after a godawful big needle to numb my finger he put my hand on a fancy X Ray machine and began to move around the bones to align them. After the alignment he pulled out another fancy machine to insert the stainless steel pins. So, a few twists, drills, and 5 min later the pins were in and the procedure was done. Bummer.............I was hoping for Ti!!

Stainless Steel Jewelry


After the procedure we chatted more and he told me to keep him in mind if my vanity ever got the best of me for bad veins, the need for lipo, or an eyelift or two. I told him you never know but I think "you are out of my network"!

JOCMO: We shall see how it goes after I get the new splint

2 comments:

  1. That is a scratch! Hows the training going for the Harpoon B2B 148?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, it is only costing me a few watts of aerodynamic effort. training going well but do need a few longer rides in the next few weeks. how about you?

    ReplyDelete